Everybody loves quizzes and trivia questions. I’d like to start off this article on a personal note and tell you how and when did I fall in love with trivia questions and answers. It was the summer of 2004 when me and my classmates decided to make the most of those hot, summer days and do something unique for the whole class. Inspired by the popular TV game-show “Family Feud”, we’ve decided to throw a party in an abandoned building near my place and play our version of the TV game show.
In an effort to make it more unique and put on a show for everyone there, we’ve prepared a dance show for the “commercial breaks”. Our creative minds were responsible for creating over a hundred of quiz questions and answers, while our insufficient funds didn’t stop us from rewarding our best players. To do so, we’ve had to charge them a ticket of $2 for entrance, but we’ve managed to reward most of the contenders in the audience. And this, my dear readers, is how my passion for trivia and quiz questions started.
After 12 years, whenever I bump into an old friend, especially if it’s someone of the other 5 masterminds behind the concept of our show, we take a trip down the memory lane and have a good laugh. I also tell them that I still play pub quizzes and ask them if they’d like to join me some time. My days of throwing quiz-parties and dancing like John Travolta might be over, but I’ve found a way of satisfying my cravings for trivial pursuit questions – attending to trivia nights.
Today, trivial questions and quizzes have become incredibly popular over many different age groups and are widely organized by local pubs and bars. The format of pub quizzes, the topics of questions and the prizes vary, yet all quizzes have many features in common. You can either play it as an individual player or as a team. For more fun, I’d suggest you to take your friends with you and play as a team. Whether they’re knowledgeable in many different categories or they suck in trivia questions, you’ll have a whale of a time.
If going to pubs and bars is not your cup of tea, you can host your own quiz at home for you and your friends. To do so, you’ll need some question ideas. And guess what, you’re at the right place! Below you will find a huge collection of trivia questions and answers, sorted in 8 different groups. The answers to all questions come right after the question mark. If you like our trivia questions with answers, feel free to print them off and use them for a fun night of playing trivia questions. Not that I’d stop you if I could; I only encourage you to do so because I’d love it. With no further ado, let’s start with some ice-breaking trivia questions.
Funny & Easy Random Trivia Questions to Start off the Game
1. What is name of the third planet from the sun? Earth.
2. When was the first programmable computer invented? 1936.
3. Who is the writer of “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings” novels? J. R. R. Tolkien
4. Who was the first president of the United States of America? George Washington.
5. Who is widely regarded as the inventor of the automobile? Karl Benz.
6. What is a synonym for dictionary? Lexicon.
7. What is the deadliest insect in the world, with over 700,000 kills per year? Mosquito.
8. What’s the name of the song we all sing to celebrate the date when someone was born? Happy Birthday.
9. How many sides does a pentagon have? Five.
10. Who’s the painter of the famous Mona Lisa? Da Vinci.
1. The three particles that make up the atom are: proton, neutron and? Electron.
2. Who is the writer of the tragedy of “Hamlet”? Shakespeare.
3. What is the Spanish word for love? Amor.
4. The members of the most popular English rock band “The Beatles” are: George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and? Ringo Starr.
5. What does the French saying “Bon voyage” mean in English? Have a good trip.
6. What is the gemstone of January? Garnet.
7. What is the name of the leader of North Korea? Kim Jong-un.
8. What year did the king of reggae Bob Marley die? 1981.
9. What is the largest living creature on Earth we know about? Whale.
10. What is the official language in Brazil? Portuguese.
1. Which planet is farthest from the sun? Pluto.
2. What is the name of the English physicist who came up with the three laws of motion? Isaac Newton.
3. Kr is the chemical symbol for what element? Krypton.
4. What does a light-year measure? Distance (in space).
5. Who invented the instrument for measuring air pressure – barometer? Evangelista Torricelli.
6. What device do you need if you want to take a closer look at the stars? Telescope.
7. Who is the inventor of the electric light bulb? Thomas Edison.
8. What is Nikola Tesla mostly known for? His great contribution to the development of electricity.
9. Who is the person who shouted “Eureka!” when he just discovered something? Archimedes.
10. Which nail grows fastest? The middle.
1. What is the biggest island in the world? Greenland.
2. What is the capital city of the UK? London.
3. What is the highest mountain in the world? Mount Everest.
4. Which country is Moscow in? Russia.
5. What is the capital city of Monaco? Monaco.
6. What is the former name of France? Gaul
7. How many time zones are there in the world? 24.
8. What is the largest country in the world (by area)? Russia.
9. How many states are there in the United States of America? 50.
10. Which south American country was named after an Italian city? Venezuela.
Movies & TV
1. Who is the actor who play the Scottish hero William Wallace in “Braveheart” (1995)? Mel Gibson.
2. In which TV series Dick Solomon is the name of the main character? 3rd Rock from the Sun.
3. What is the name of the popular hairy creature in the Star Wars franchise? Chewbacca/Chewie.
4. Who was the director of Avatar? James Cameron.
5. How many X-men movies there are? 8.
6. The One ring from “Lord of the Rings” is commonly referred to as “My precious”, but by whom? Gollum.
7. How many Oscars have the movie “Titanic” won? 11.
8. In the series “How I Met your Mother”, what was the falsely name that was written on Barney’s cup of coffee? Swarley.
9. Who portrays the popular detective Sherlock Holmes in the movies? Robert Downey Jr.
10. Who was the founder of Disney? The Disney brothers.
1. What is the name of the only singer who have won the Eurovision Song Contest more than once? Johnny Logan.
2. Where did French horns first appear? Germany.
3. What is the most popular nickname of Eric Clapton? Slowhand.
4. When was the first concert ever of Elvis Presley? 1954.
5. What is the full name of Robbie Williams? Robert Peter Williams.
6. Who was the jazz singer that everybody called the Lady of Song? Ella Fitzgerald.
7. Who won the most Grammy Awards back in the 1980s? Michael Jackson.
8. What year did the legendary front-man of Queen, Freddy Mercury, die? 1991.
9. Who did John Lennon marry? Yoko Ono.
10. Who is the inventor of the musical instrument known as saxophone? Adolphe Sax.
1. What is the name of the Swiss tennis player who last won the US Open Men’s singles? Stan Wawrinka.
2. What is the full name of the Brazilian legendary football player Ronaldinho? Ronaldo de Assis Moreira.
3. How many minutes is an NBA match? 48 minutes.
4. Who is the youngest F1 world champion? Sebastian Vettel.
5. In which sport can you “put your opponent on a poster”? Basketball.
6. How many players are there in a water polo team? 6 + 1 (goalkeeper).
7. Which sport does Mikkel Hansen play? Handball.
8. What country invented golf? Scotland.
9. What is the maximum number of sets a tennis player can win in a match? 3.
10. Which is the largest football stadium in the world, with capacity of 150,000? Rungrado May Day Stadium, North Korea.
Food & Drink
1. Where was the pizza invented? Naples/Italy.
2. From which country does hamburger originate? Germany.
3. What would you eat your food with if you were eating in a Chinese restaurant? Chopsticks.
4. Cucumis sativus is the other name for what vegetable? Cucumber.
5. What is the most popular beer produced in Mexico? Corona.
6. What is the French name for French fries? Les frites.
7. What beer brand is referred to as The King of Beers? Budweiser.
8. What year was the very first restaurant in Paris opened? 1765.
9. Which country is both known as the biggest and finest producer of chocolates? Switzerland.
10. What is the name of the most popular drink in Greece? Ouzo.